Background of the ASTT
The Society is a non-profit organisation and eitherÂ Corporate or Individual membership is open to all who are concerned with or are involved in the provision of gas, power, water, sewerage, drainage, telecommunications and electrical services. Typically this involves consultants, contractors, material and equipment manufacturers, public authorities at all levels of government and those engaged in research and development for underground systems.
The Society has been formed to promote Trenchless Technology. Trenchless Technology is the technique for conduit installation, replacement or renovation which minimises excavation from the surface.
The principal objectives of the Society are to:
- Advance the science and practice of trenchless technology for the public benefit;
- Provide a forum in Australia and New Zealand for the interchange of knowledge and skills in the field of trenchless technology;
- Arrange or sponsor meetings, conferences and symposia on subjects consistent with the objectives of the Society;
- Encourage the interchange of specialist knowledge and practices in trenchless technology within Australia, New Zealand and overseas;
- Liaise and establish affiliations with related organisations, both within Australia, New Zealand and overseas and
- Encourage education, training and research.
The Society is affiliated with the International Society for Trenchless Technology (ISTT). Other affiliated National Society’s now include Austria, Brazil, China Hong Kong, China, China Taipei, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Spain/Portugal, Italy, Japan, Lithuania, Netherlands, North America, Poland,Â Russia, Scandinavia, South Africa, Switzerland, Ukraine andÂ United Kingdom.