About Trenchless Technology
Trenchless technology is a type of subsurface construction work, performed without the need for trenching. The techniques which have been developed for this purpose are known as ‘no-dig’ or trenchless technology and are used for conduit installation, replacement or renovation which minimises excavation from the surface.
Traditional open-cut excavation methods for installing, renovating or maintaining services are often disruptive and uneconomical, and the true social costs and environmental impact of such disruption is not considered. This has resulted in an ever-increasing demand for methods of pipeline installation and refurbishment which have the capability of performing this work without the need for trenching.
In Australia alone, there are some 130,000 kilometres of water mains and 80,000 kilometres of sewers and sewerage pumping mains. With many approaching or exceeding their design life, this represents a huge cost.
Despite Australia’s remoteness, geographic spread and comparatively small population, the potential of the technology is being realised by an ever-growing number of progressive utilities, private organisations, contractors and consultants.
There are many initiatives underway to assist in the continued introduction of trenchless technology in Australia and New Zealand.
The ASTT continues to work with members, providing up-to date technical knowledge and information for the advancement of trenchless technology in Australasia.
Members of the Australasian Society for Trenchless Technology gain access to the following ASTT and ISTT guidelines.
- HDD, PIPE BURSTING and MICROTUNNELLING
- MICROTUNNELLING DESIGN GUIDELINES SEWER (MDG-S)
Current ISTT Trenchless Technology Guidelines
- Auger Boring
- Close Fit Thermoplastic Lining
- Condition Assessment & Rehabilitation Planning
- Horizontal Directional Drilling
- Impact Moling & Ramming
- Insitu Applied Coatings
- Localised Repair Techniques & Systems
- Manhole Rehabilitation Techniques
- Offline Replacement
- Online Replacement
- Pipe Cleaning & Rehab Inspection
- Pipe Bursting & Splitting
- Pipe Jacking & Microtunnelling
- Pipe Eating & Replacement
- Renovation Technologies
- Sectional Liners
- Site Survey & Buried Infrastructure Location
- Site Survey Investigation
- Site Survey Overview
- Social Costs & Environmental Impact
- Spoil Handling & Lubrication Fluids
- Spiral Wind Technologies
Pre-2000 ISTT Trenchless Guidelines
- Close-Fit Lining
- On-Line Replacement
- Cured In-Place Lining
- Pipe Jacking and Microtunnelling
- Glossary of Terms
- Renovation of Large Diameter Pipes and Chambers
- Guided Boring & Directional Drilling
- Impact Moling and Ramming
- Spray Lining
- Localised Repair and Sealing
- Surveying and Site Investigation
To view these documents plus a whole range of other benefits please login to the members portal using the link below. Alternatively become a member today!
Become a member today!
- Trenchless Australasia Magazine – 4 issues per year.
- Trenchless Directory – 1 issues per year.
- ASTT Annual Trenchless Directory acknowledgement.
- Discount rates at National Conferences and Exhibition.
- Discount rates at Trenchless Forums.
- Discount rates at ISTT International NO-DIG’s.
- Discounted rates for advertising in the ASTT’s Trenchless Australasia Magazine.